Talent in art, music, and sports abounds along Mississippi’s West Coast and has for generations.
Published writers include:
- Stephen Ambrose, history and fiction
- Mimi Monti Heitzmann, fiction
- Margaret Gavagnie, poetry
- Sarah Dodge Kimbrough, essay
- Ellis Anderson, memoirs, music, and lyrics
- Connie Demoran Heitzmann, memoirs
- Margaret Sullivan, poetry
- Dale St. Amant, fiction
- Richmond Barté, sculptor
- Alice Moseley, idyllic folk artist
- Kat Fitzpatrick, encaustic artist
Sports talents include:
- Doc Blanchard, 1945 Heisman Trophy, Maxwell Award, and Sullivan Award winner; also known as Mr. Insider
- Brett Favre, former Green Bay Packers and Minnesota Vikings quarterback; also the first quarterback to pass for 500 touchdowns and throw for over 70,000 yards with 6,000 completions. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2016.
The Saint Rose de Lima gospel choir energizes worshippers on Sunday mornings, and the Rochelle Harper Band rocks numerous seasonal events.